Copper Pipe Corrosion
Copper corrosion in home plumbing systems is common and caused for many reasons. A general sign of corrosion is blue stains oxidized copper can leave on sinks, tubs, and other things, including tinting blonde hair blue. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, pipes that distribute drinking water are generally made of plastic, concrete, or metal, like copper. In general terms, corrosion is the metal from the piping dissolves into the water because of various causes, causing pipe failure and corrosion of water heaters, appliances, and fixtures. If you are having a plumbing issue in your home related to your pipes, the expert technicians at Fix-it Rite in Sacramento have the skills and knowledge to fix any plumbing issues that might come up.
Pipe corrosion can not only damage the visual quality of your water, but it can be a waste of money in many ways. Metal pipe corrosion is a constant and variable process of ion release from the pipe into the water. So, when it comes to plumbing systems, corrosion can be caused by physical and chemical reactions better the pipe and water. Lead and copper are hardly ever detected in many drinking water supplies, so it is understanding that these metals are a concern to consumers. Some of the other reasons copper pipes corrode:
- Low pH (acid water less than 7.0) and high pH (alkaline water greater than 8.5)
- High levels of dissolved oxygen and salts dissolved in the water (total dissolved solids)
- Corrosion-causing bacteria such as sulfate or iron bacteria
- Improper grounding of electrical appliances to the copper piping, and/or lightning strikes through utility poles grounding wires
- High velocity of water, relative to the size of piping, causing hydraulic wear on the piping, sometimes found in circulating hot water systems using pumps
- Sand, sediment or other grit in the water causing hydraulic wear on the piping
- Copper piping that was improperly installed
(the information on this list was provided by https://www.cleanwaterstore.com)
The last thing you want to do is to disregard pipe corrosion or simply deny that it isn’t happening in your building or home. The technicians at Fix-it Rite in Sacramento can help you evade, look after, and restore any piping issues that you might have. At Fix-it Rite in Sacramento, we understand that plumbing issues are stressful, and we will do our best to make this situation is as pain-free as possible, whether residential or commercial – give Fix-it Rite in Sacramento a call at (916) 363-6022. We will send one of our qualified technicians, who are available 24/7 to serve you.